1. Hydrate. Although it takes some prep time, it is worth it to pack some liquids and snacks in an insulated bag or cooler before going to the beach. Water is a necessity, and snack STRATIGICALLY. You want a good beach coma, not a painful one. Might we suggest, watermelon, grapes, berries, and crackers?
2. Sun Protection. You may want a nice sun-kissed glow, but you never want to burn. We all know that too much sun is bad for your skin, so ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use some form of sun protection. (Besides, nowadays you can get a spray tan for instant gratification). In the event that you don’t apply proper sun protection, and get burned, it’s always a good idea to store some aloe vera gel in the fridge and apply as necessary.
3. Beach beauty. Let’s face it, the beach is not the ideal place for lots of make-up because it WILL melt off or get washed away. So for “beach friendly” make-up, use a dewy tinted moisturizer, waterproof mascara, and lip gloss w/ extra shine. Depending on your preference, you can kick up the fun w/ some glitter or flavored lip gloss. To tame the tresses, scrunch and spritz some product in the hair for beachy waves or textured braids.
4. Location, location, location. All beaches are not created equal. First figure out the kind of experience you’re looking for: relaxation, shopping, romance, or socializing. Each beach is different and it’s worth taking a few moments to think about your agenda, access to restrooms, and safety.
5. Por Los Angelenos. Malibu-YAH is perfect for ocean therapy: Gladstone's is great on a sunny Sunday. http://www.sbe.com/gladstone Santa Monica is good for shopping and eye candy. Sonoma Wine Garden and The Market have great nosh. http://www.santamonicaplace.com/Dining/Details/106611?list=restaurants Venice Beach is a great place for eclectic trinkets and the Venice Ale House has an amazing beer sampler served in a skateboard. http://venicealehouse.com/
Happy Beaching! :)
www.pinterest.com (watermelon stars)